5.20.2009

Moroccan Chicken with "7 Whole Grains on a Mission"


I was inspired to make this chicken one night when I came across a Kashi 7 Grains mix in my local market. I wanted to emulate the flavors of the mix in my chicken. Using spices I had on hand I created this easy and flavorful recipe.


Chicken
  • 2 Chicken thighs with Legs (I used Coleman Farms Organic, Antibiotic free) Breasts would work well too, I simply like the flavor of thighs.
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Juice of 1 lemon
Pan Sauce
  • 1/4 Cup water
  • 1 tbsp white cooking wine
  • 1/8 cup cilantro
1 Package Kashi Moroccan Blend Grains

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 375.
Combine all spices, cumin through paprika. Salt and pepper the chicken to taste then rub your spice mixture over the chicken, making sure to cover. Heat olive in oil in an oven proof pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Place the pan in hot oven and cook about 15 minutes, depending on size of pieces, until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan and squeeze lemon juice over top. Keep warm while making the pan sauce.
Return pan to stove top and turn burner to medium. Pour in cooking wine and deglaze, add water as needed to keep sauce loose.
While the sauce is cooking, heat Kashi Blend accoding to package directions.
Serve Chicken over Grain blend and spoon on sauce to taste and sprinkle the chopped cilantro on top.

I served this with steamed broccoli dipped into the excess sauce on the plate.
To reduce fat in this recipe, remove the skin from the chicken.

5 comments:

  1. WalterB.21.8.09

    I was overwhelmed when i first looked at the recipe, but as I spent more time with it, I decided that just following it would get me through it in good fashion. I'm going to try it out for guests in a couple of weeks and have extra brocilli and butter on hand should I not get the recipe just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan Jones22.8.09

    Sounds delicious...we're proud of you. Maybe you'll be the next Rachel Ray..... Art and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous22.8.09

    Proud of you, Elizabeth, I knew you as a little girl when your parents and I were in school together and you lived on Bellevue Place near the park. I like the sound and would doubtless love the taste of your dish, but as a Texan, I think I'll stick too burgers and fries. Hugs. Mark Salmon in Corpus Christi, TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous22.8.09

    Dad knows ELizabeth has some wonderful and tasty burger recipes; how about posting one or two of those so our friend Mark in Texas can cook 'a new kind of burger'. Fries? Can't do any better than South Philly cheese fries. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog. I'm looking forward to reading more fine recipes.

    ReplyDelete